...Register Now »
Ancient Goddess? Christian Saint? Neo-Pagan Deity? Who is Brigit? How do we know? Where can you find reliable information about her, and materials which take an approach that’s right for you? The Irish goddess Brigit and Saint Brigit are inextricably tied together, yet each plays distinct and powerful roles in the daily lives of people around the world. Mael Brigde's introductory class, Discovering Brigit, teaches some of her basic aspects and offers tools for learning more about her and exploring the idea of welcoming her into your life. A full Brigidine Well Meditation rounds off this short, lively course. Discovering Brigit is open to people of any gender identity, creed, or race. *Discovering Brigit is the first of Mael Brigde's Brigit classes.*
Dedicated to bringing you high quality and engaging courses, Goddess Ink offers online courses and on-ground experiences in Goddess scholarship. Our Guides are all well-versed practitioners who teach from the heart.
About this Course
Ancient Goddess? Christian Saint? Neo-Pagan Deity? Who is Brigit? How do we know? Where can you find reliable information about her, and materials which take an approach that’s right for you?
Discovering Brigit is the first of Mael Brigde's Brigit courses. For the best experience, we recommend you take it before Stepping Into Brigit: A 30 Day Goddess Activation Course. (Doing so will also give you a $13 discount on Stepping Into Brigit.)
- are new to Brigit and want an introduction to her traditions, scholarship, rituals, and resources
- are familiar with Brigit but have read contradictory statements and want to navigate her story with clarity and confidence
- want to follow a Celtic spiritual path, Neo-Pagan or Christian
- would benefit from encouragement and guidance from a longtime follower of Brigit
... then welcome to Mael Brigde’s five session, self-paced introductory class, Discovering Brigit. All you need a curious, open mind, and a love of exploration.
Included in this course of five modules (plus “The Next Step”) are:
· A grounding in the mythology of Brigit, goddess and saint
· An idea of where Brigit comes from and how we can assess the plethora of information we read about her
· Prayers, poems, and images to inspire a deeper appreciation of Brigit
· Help in pronouncing key Irish words
· A list of resources for those who wish to know more
· The encouragement and knowledge of your teacher, Mael Brigde, as you experience this interactive course.
· A Brigidine Well Meditation
· An invitation to deepen your learning and your immersion into Brigit by enrolling in Mael Brigde’s second course, Stepping Into Brigit.
About your guide, Mael Brigde:
Since the early 1980s, Mael Brigde has found endless spiritual wealth in the conflicting and complementary traditions surrounding Brigit. Among her greatest pleasures are walking with Brigit as a steady companion, and sharing her with others.
In 1993 she founded the first interfaith Brigidine flame-tending group, the Daughters of the Flame, which continues to today. She lit their first candle to Brigit on Imbolc 1993—the same day, she learned much later, that the Irish Catholic Brigidine sisters relit her perpetual fire in Kildare.
She maintains the blog Brigit’s Sparkling Flame, which points readers to Brigit-related websites, books, CDs, and so on, as well as offering reviews and original materials. Feel free to contact her with suggestions for future postings.
Mael Brigde is currently working on a book of poems and prayers to Brigit. Some of her (and others’) poetry can be found at Stone on the Belly.
She lives in Vancouver, Canada.
Daughters of the Flame (flamekeepers): http://www.obsidianmagazine.com/DaughtersoftheFlame/index.htm
Brigit’s Sparkling Flame (general Brigit blog): http://brigitssparklingflame.blogspot.com/
Stone on the Belly (Brigit poetry blog): http://stonebelly.blogspot.ca
LibraryThing – Brigit (and related) Book Listings: http://www.librarything.com/profile/MaelBrigde
Rowan Hagen, Australia:
"Mael Brigde draws on decades of study and personal dedication to Brighid in Her many forms. I recommend this course to anyone wishing to explore women's spirituality from the Celtic tradition."
Gail Nyoka, USA:
"Brigit speaks through Mael Brigde in the healing community she has created in Daughters of the Flame. "
Nichole C. USA:
"I have learned what it means to follow Brigit through Mael Brigde's exemplary leadership and compassionate, wise ways. She has taught me not only about Brigit's history and mythology but its relevance and importance in one's own life and how having a personal relationship with Her can bring fulfillment and joy."